I’m a very bad blogger. I don’t post very often, but I wanted to talk about this Mersman end table that I retreasured. I found her at a garage sale in my neighborhood. She was sad looking and the man I purchased her from said he “just found ‘it’ in the basement”, as if she had been cast aside when he moved out of his bachelor pad into the marriage abode. But I looked at her and knew she had lots of life left in her, so I took her home.
I gave her a quick sanding before painting . The shelf was not sanding evenly as there was a lot of cracking and crazing in the finish. I decided that instead of continuing to fight it, I would challenge myself to do a crackle finish on the shelf.
After I finished sanding, I put on two coats of MudPaint in Stone, leaving appropriate time between coats for drying and sanding.
For the crackle I chose MudPaint Smoke, which is a lighter gray than the Stone. A quick search on Pinterest for “crackle finish DIY” gave a multitude of methods. I am not providing a link because I honestly don’t remember which one I used. I digress...
Using a sponge on a stick and working in sections I applied a coat of Modge Podge. After applying the Modge Podge, I dipped my paint brush in a touch of water, then into the MudPaint and applied the paint over the Modge Podge, going in one direction. I repeated these steps until I covered the entire shelf. The result is a really pretty crackle finish that somewhat represents birch wood. Once the Modge Podge and paint dried thoroughly (I think I let it sit for a day or two to be safe) I gave the shelf a light sanding.
I decided that I also wanted to do a fun lining in the drawer. I purchased quilting cotton that coordinated nicely with the grays that I used. Again, to Pinterest I went and searched for “fabric drawer liner” (nope, didn’t save the link for that either). I cut the cotton to the size of the drawer bottom. Using Modge Podge (I love this stuff!) I applied a generous amount to the bottom of the drawer then placed the fabric on top. I worked in sections and used a clean pan scraper to smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles. Once it dried, I applied a couple of topcoats of Modge Podge to seal the fabric. A quick sanding after the second coat was dry smooths out the finish and I had to do some trimming around the edges using a utility knife.
I purchased a basic black handle at my local hardware store and had my design assistant (Husband) spray paint it a bright orange that really helps it pop against the gray.
The result is B-E-A-utiful. I am absolutely pleased at how she turned out!